Monday, June 16, 2008

Despite...

The fact that it is summer, and temperatures haven't been below 84 degrees for the past three weeks, Zach insists on wearing pants and a long "sleebe" shirt...every day! Not only does he have to wear a long sleeve shirt, but he has to have his sleeves rolled up a certain way. Translation - ZaCh'S cLoThEs FeTiSh! Here is the daily routine...

First: The whine to fix his sleeves.

Second: After I have fixed one of them 3-4 times, apparently I still didn't do it right, so here is the second whine and pout face I get, and a verbal reminder, "No that's just not right, I need it "Bigger and bigger." ... "Just bigger and deeper."..."Downer and downer."

Third: After I roll his sleeve up the right way, he must go over it with his fingers to flatten and straighten the ridge of the fold.

Fourth: He holds up his arms, as to compare the two, and tells me "Now the other one."

Fifth: Immediately he displays another sad face to remind me, again, that they aren't the same, and that I need to fix them.

Sixth: He points out that I need to "make it just like this", pointing to the sleeve that has finally been rolled up correctly, according to his standard.

Seventh: He adjusts the second sleeve once it has been folded correctly.

Eighth: Finally, the smile of satisfaction. Both "sleebes" are rolled up just right!

Seriously, I miss the days when it was just the tag that bothered him. That was an easy fix, just cut it out, or better yet just buy shirts from Old Navy or Children's Place, both tag less. This sleeve thing is much more detail oriented and must be done just right or I hear about it until it is fixed or he decides to change into another shirt, in hopes that I can get the next shirts' sleeves right. This fetish is not just directed towards me. Grandma and Uncle Tyson couldn't even get it right when they watched him while we were in Alabama. Note to self - Pack only short sleeve shirts.

My solution? ... Hide all his long sleeve shirts!

We love him though, clothes fetish and all. He is a sweet little boy and he received a sweet package from his sweetheart, who he misses a lot. Here's a message to his pen pal...


8 comments:

Chiara said...

hahahah - I don't know why I find that so hilarious....but I do! What a character! You are in for it with this child during the teenage years! Yikes!! ;)-

Thompson Family said...

Oh Ashley I feel for you. Try taking Kyle shoe shopping...all shoes have a bump in them (for your arch) which he can't have. Or better yet, try buying him shoes in advance of them fitting and a year later trying to convince him that they will be fine (now that you can't take them back!) He is quite particular too. Your mom says it is a Thompson trait!

em said...

I'm not going to lie...there was a second there when "that's what she said" flashed through my mind, but I'll just leave it at that!

Maybe Kate will be your laid back teenager...

amyorr said...

Camden just watched the video. I'm glad he liked his present. They didn't make the shirt in long sleeve. Sorry Man.

Patrick and Paige said...

That is so sad about his little friend. I love the second picture in the long sleeve story. He looks so dissapointed. I am with mari. it is totally a thompson trait. cause my clothes have to fit just right too. You and me zach, we stick together on this one.

Janell said...

Don't you love how no one warns you about the weird feddishes that come along with toddlerhood? I guess it keeps us on our toes! He is so stinkin cute!

Laraine T said...

Yeah, and when the cold began last Fall, he didn't want to wear anything that had LONG sleeves or LONG pants. So, lucky you, you get to go through this twice each year!

John and Cathryn said...

I drove my mom nuts cause I had to have my french toast cut an EXACT way....the stupid thing is there really wasn't any special way
zach is super cute by the way