Wednesday, November 18, 2009

And I Thought...

Having only one car was bad...

Today I attempted to go visiting teaching. Attempted, because right as I was supposed to be leaving, Justin got a call from the hospital needing him to come in. I called my visiting teaching partner to let her know that I wouldn't be able to make it. Here is my dilemma though. Who am I to say that I wasn't going to be able to make it because Justin needed the car, when she doesn't have a car and walks everywhere, which included walking to our visiting teaching appointment this afternoon. Don't assume that I am rude because I didn't offer to give her a ride, because I would and have. It's just that she has her four little kids with her. It's simple really, my little accord barely fits my two car seats. And who breaks the law when you are off to do something right or good? Anyways, so I was feeling so bad telling her that I wasn't going to make it, when I knew full well that if she could walk, so could I. The only difference was that she was already there(because she had left an hour earlier) and by the time I could get myself and the kids over there by foot, she would most likely be finished with the visiting and the message. But, boy did I feel horrible for telling her that I couldn't get over to our appointment because I was out of a car.

I am sure more people than her live without a car, but with four kids, really? I guess I really admire her.

Now for the rest of the story...Justin returned home fifteen minutes after he left, telling me the hospital didn't need him after all. Well of course I hurried myself right over to our appointment. And of course, I had missed everything, but made it just in time to witness my partner getting her 5,4,2 and almost one year old bundled up in the stroller in preparation for their walk home that would now be in the dark. Knowing that I still only had my accord, and couldn't fit them all safely, I felt like a total loser!!! I could show up late and then I couldn't take her and her kids home? Seriously helpless. Luckily the lady we were visiting offered to drive the half that I couldn't fit in my car back to their house. In the end it all turned out good, but it really got me thinking.

I don't really complain about only having one car, in fact we have lived with one car for the last five years, so really it will be weird if we ever get a second car. I have gotten used to asking for rides or even having to borrow some one's car. I made sure that we moved near TRAX, here in Utah, so that Justin would be able to get to and from work without the need of a car. But now I see that having just one car is quite the luxury.

4 comments:

Emily said...

We only have one car too, so I know how you feel. But now I'll be happy that we at least have one car that runs!

Krystal said...

Wow that is one amazing woman! I mean I don't always jump for joy to go VT but hearing that she does it and walks with her kids, makes me feel so bad for ever thinking I don't have time, I have the kids so it is just too much to take them with me etc... What a good story to hear right before Thanksgiving.

em said...

Maybe you'd feel better if you told her about the immense amount of pain you were in with your gum graft :) Just kidding. It's always a reality check when we put ourselves in other people's shoes...helps keep us grounded, I hope.

The Perry family said...

Way to put that into perspective. Makes me think of my mom. For a few years, while growing up, we didn't have a car. But my mom, who was a single mom, was going to school, working 3 different jobs and still had 7 kids at home, somehow managed it! I'm so thankful for strong women, who do what they have to do!